Sunday, September 19, 2010

This is THE day

Today has been very difficult for me in so many ways. I found out last night that a friend from Jackson, who played the piano at my dad's funeral, her son committed suicide last week. And my heart absolutely broke for her. Her son was full of life.. was so interesting.. knew so many things and I found him a joy to be around. My head spun a little after I heard that news and it took me a few more minutes to completely wrap my head around the finality of those words that I'd heard.

You see, I know about death. And I know how fast it happens. How quickly that news can turn a world upside down. Because it did it to mine. And that day? The day when my world was turned upside down.. the one year anniversary of that day is quickly approaching. Which also made hearing this news much harder.

I thought and thought for hours about what I could say that could possibly make her feel better. Then I realized.. even after having been through a tragedy myself.. there really are no words that make it feel better. Sometimes there is laughter through tears.. sometimes there is food or chocolate. Sometimes there are post it notes on your front door.. but words to make it feel better. There really are none of those.

And as I pondered this all day, I felt very sad. Very sad that Andrew was no longer here. Very sad that death again had won (for the time being). And just very sad in general.

Until tonight at Bible Study at church. We sang "This is the Day". Many, many times (maybe 4?). By the third time, I realized that this day.. this one that you and I lived today.. it truly was created by the Lord. It was created by Him for us to rejoice and be glad. Maybe tomorrow won't be here. And yesterday is over. But this day today was created especially by Him for us to rejoice. And that rejoicing thing? Is real hard sometimes.
There are days where sadness and darkness seem to loom over ... and there are others where it seems the happiness can never be stamped out. Both of those days were created by God.. for us to rejoice and be glad.

Don't worry. I'm going to have to remind myself of this tomorrow when work is crazy with lots of people.. when I'm driving to get to Jackson.. when I'm exhausted Tuesday morning for work.. I will have to remind myself of that quiet truth that the Lord has laid upon my heart today.

This is the day
That the Lord has made
I will rejoice
And be glad in it.

will you rejoice with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment