Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Being Content

In my last post, I touched on feeling convicted about being content in this life that I am leading these days.

It happened two Sundays ago. The scripture was from Hebrews 13. The verse that stuck out to me was verse 5
"Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have." (The Message).

This life that I'm leading in the here and now is one I have wished for... for months. I dreamed of the day when I would have a full-time job, was able to pay my bills. I dreamed of living with girls I would grow to adore and love spending time with. I dreamed of staying in touch with friends, both near and far. I dreamed of a time when my time was not pulled in 15 directions.. when I was finally able to focus on me and what I wanted to do.

I have a job.. a steady paycheck.. an apt and roommates only the Lord could have blessed me with. I have a boyfriend who believes in me, supports me and is one of my best friends. All these things.. at one time were simply dreams. Now they are a reality. MY reality. Now that I have them, am I really trying to rush this season in my life? That is not very fair of me. Nor very gracious. I need to learn to be content with what the Lord has put in my life in the here and now.

I need to learn to embrace my work and my free nights. Nights to prepare for small group, engage in friendships, read books, rest my body. I have opportunities right now that I wouldn't have if I was in medical school. Opportunities I am excited about: being able to go places on the weekends, be involved in a women's Bible study at church, pour into my Sunday School kid's lives.

I am realizing how extremely blessed I am. In the aftermath of this past year.. my dad dying and not getting into medical school within two months of each other. In the confusion, hurt, overnight maturity that I had to find.. the Lord truly had plans to lead me back to this place. A place where He can lead me beside still waters.. a place where He can restore my soul. And right now? Restoration and still waters sound like Heaven on earth.

I am learning about falling in love with my Jesus all over again. Going through traumatic experiences can bring people closer together if they lean on each other through the circumstances. The last year and a half of my life.. I have let Jesus be that rock and I am learning how to love Him in a way that I couldn't as a 16 year old. Our relationship is deeper and more precious to me than anything on earth.


It's gotta be more like falling in love
Than something to believe in
More like losing my heart
Than giving my allegiance

1 comment:

  1. I love being a friend you will keep in touch with (far). And I love you!

    ReplyDelete