Sunday, September 12, 2010

I have been a runner since I was 12. Maybe even 11? All I know is I discovered I was fairly swift and I ran with it (... ha. ha. ha.). I enjoyed running cross country all the way through high school and beginning to run longer races in college including 4 half marathons and 1 full marathon. I equate so many things to running or use running to help me figure it out.

In our words and phrases running means so many things. We talk about running away from things, Hebrews talks about our faith as running a race.. we talk about running to the top of the ladder as a phrase to mean being the very best.

I often wonder how I would describe myself if something happened and I was no longer physically able to run. It has always been such an important part of who I am. I even got a dog who can run with me once he gets big enough.

I heard this song though... and it spoke into deep parts of my heart. About what I am really here to do. And what should truly define me. The song talks about how quickly our lives pass us by and only then do we realize the truly important things.
It has a beautiful line about taking in all the colors before they fade to grey. I want to do that. I love this colorful world that I love in.. that I can enjoy a beautiful afternoon with bright blue skies and magnificent green grass. That the sunset contains hues of red, pink, orange, blue, purples... it is such a glorious sight.

Running.. is important to me and thats okay. I can still be a runner. I just have to acknowledge that the important thing in this life. It's how I love. It's how I treat others around me. It's how I help. It's not how far I get.. it's not whether I become a doctor.. it's if I use these breaths the Lord has given me exactly how He ordained them to be used.


When it's all said and done
No one remembers
How far we have run
The only thing that matters
Is how we have loved

and that? I'm still working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment