Friday, October 26, 2012

a heart's longing


"If we were given all we wanted here, our hearts would settle for this world rather than the next." (Elisabeth Elliot)

I read this quote today on facebook and it immediately struck a chord in my heart. How often do we try and find our true happiness here on Earth? We try to fill and fill our lives and hearts with things that will make us happy here. 
Like good grades or jobs falling into place after graduation. There are so many things that we reach after and spend our lives trying to achieve only to realize they are fading as quickly as the morning fog. 

Lately I've been realizing how much the Lord is teaching me about humility and pouring myself out completely to let Him fill me up. Emptying myself of all preconceived ideas and expectations. Knowing that He is good and Holy and worthy of all honor and praise. And knowing that He loves me with a love that is beyond my comprehension. 
Knowing those two things, reinforces the fact that I trust Him. And reminds me of the bold, yet true statement that I also believe: I would rather stand beside Him in the rain than separated from Him in the sun. 

The Lord is constantly pulling me back to His heart and reminding me that His thoughts and ways are so very different than those on this Earth. It's His heart that I long to know more... not to please those here on Earth. I pray that never changes. 

1 comment: