Thursday, December 6, 2012

Even if the _______ doesn't come

I am in the middle of the craziest three weeks of the semester. I had two tests this past Monday and have 8 more in the next two weeks.. with 6 of them being next week, crammed into 3 days. In the middle of all this chaos, sometimes it seems easiest to let my time with God be pushed to the side. Yet, in the past few weeks, He has drawn me ever closer to Him and made me realize how that is something that can NOT be pushed aside just because school is busy. 

He has been using songs, people and daily circumstances to remind me that unless I am grounded in Him, I will flail everywhere else. And it's almost a daily thing, me giving my dreams back to Him and allowing Him to work through me. Daily I have to remind myself if my grades aren't as high as I want them to be, well at least I studied as hard as I could. Or if I feel I failed at different relationships that day, there is grace to cover that and He is still present there. 

He is challenging me to be diligent with my time. To spend my time driving back and forth to school either in praise to Him or in prayer. 
Seeing life and medical school through His eyes is much more enjoyable than seeing it through mine. Yes, there are a lot of details and I have to learn them all. But guess who created it all? God!! And I think that is so cool. He is such a creative creator! And truly deserves all the praise, honor and glory. 

The Kutless song "Even if the healing doesn't come" has been in my mind and on my heart recently. It speaks of how we must be sure of God's character because when bad things happen and the healing doesn't come as we want it to, we have to be sure of who God truly is. Not who we make Him based on our circumstances. 
He doesn't change. He is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow. And sometimes, things happen that make no sense to us. Or things DON'T happen that we want to happen so badly. 
In those times, I am reminded, He is still God, still good, still faithful and still sovereign. Even when things don't happen the way we want them to. 

Even if the grades don't come
Even if the marriage doesn't work
Even if the job doesn't happen
Even if the relational healing doesn't come
Even if the money doesn't come 

God is not defined by any of those things. He is always the same. Even if those things don't come and even if life falls apart, He is still a good, faithful God. 

That's what He has been teaching me recently. To know that regardless of what happens over the next 15 days (yes we have a countdown!!) before school gets it and regardless of my grades, His plan is still active. And He is still good. And His love for me? 
Well, that can be seen in the baby boy that He sent down to earth to live and then die for me. So that I may know His character. And how it never changes. 

Even if the healing doesn’t come
And life falls apart
And dreams are still undone
You are God You are good
Forever faithful One
Even if the healing
Even if the healing doesn’t come

1 comment:

  1. I love you Katye Herring...........and am so proud of the young women you have become and are growing daily in your life journey.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete