Thursday, October 11, 2012

Being Carried

I've been in school now for almost 9 weeks. Well, 10 if you count orientation week. And a lot of them have been really hard. I am making new friends, living in a new place, going to a new church, and depending on God in a new way. It's not like I'm alone in this journey, quite the contrary, actually. However, there are some things that the people around me can't do for me. They can't go to class and learn this material or take the tests. They can support me and hold me up.. but the actual school part and stress part and learning part? That's up to me. And the Lord. But also me.

And this week, I've been reminded of how much He longs to carry us. I think sometimes we are put in situations where we HAVE to depend on Him. Or otherwise realize how inadequate we are by ourselves. And although I have people I can depend on daily, He is truly all I need. He is what is essential for me. And that's how it's supposed to be. If you stripped away everything else, school, the boy, family, friends, comfortable living, He would still be enough for me. And I think when I realize that I hold everything else a little bit more with open, loose hands instead of clutching, tight hands. He is a loving, blessing, good Father. We trust Him as that in Bible stories.. yet somehow it's harder to trust that in our real lives.

He is challenging me with that. The thought that He is truly all that I need. He is essential and everything else, as much as I love it or feel called to it, is not. And that gives me a Heavenly perspective which is sometimes so hard to find in this earthly world.

Below is a quote that I read on Ann Voskamp's blog the other day. It is in the context of Ephesians 6 and Paul's words about the armor of God. I really liked it and remembered how true that really is!

Life’s not hard because you’re doing anything wrong: Life is a battle. Put on your armor.

1 comment:

  1. Great lesson to remember each day. You are always imparting such wonderful, spiritual wisdom. I miss having you around all the time! Praying for med school; I know you will make it out alive and be an excellent doc!

    ReplyDelete